BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING DEPARTMENT IN HOSPITAL
The engineering department performs a wide image of functions which may be assign to various unit of department,. It is responsible for the operation of all equipment, machinery and repair specifically, the department performs the following functions.
1.Building operations maintenance.
· 2. Mechanical & Electrical maintenance.
· 3. Preventive maintenance.
TYPES OF MAINTENANCE WORK
Typically, the hospital maintenance work falls into one of the following classes.
a) Preventive Maintenance
b) Emergency Maintenance
c) Routine Maintenance
Every hospital must develop an instrument control system, making the clinical engineering unit responsible for developing and implementing procedures. The steps involved
areThe equipment control system starts when new or replacement equipment is to be selected.
When a new piece of equipment is received, the following steps should be gone through The clinical engineering unit for a pre-acceptance check receives the equipment.Calibration is checked for accuracy, and a calibration procedure and records are initiated.Tags and labels are affixed to the equipment.
CLINICAL (BIOMEDICAL) ENGINEERING
Clinical or biomedical engineering is one of the latest & most dynamic programmes in hospital. In today’s high technology environment with a proliferation of advanced & complex medical equipment, clinical engineering has assumed great significance. The aim of biomedical engineering programme is to provide technical expertise & management support to hospital administration, engineering department & the medical staff.
The following are some of the imported functions of the unit. Writing specification for all the new equipment & machinery.
1. Prevent patients from falling from bed. It occurs frequently as they attempt to get on or off the bed unaided. Many of them may be feeble, disoriented or under sedation.
2. Make infirm patients feel at ease. Make them understand that they need to get assistance.
3. Provide for patients personal belongings to be kept within their easy reach. Ask them to use nurses call bell to get bedpan or urinal.
SAFETY IN ELECTRIC GOODS
1. Prevent dampness near switches, wiring and appliances. Keep had dry when you handle them.
2. Do not use an electrical outlet when a plug does not fit smugly. Get the outlet changed.
3. Be sure the equipment is properly grounded. Three-wire “ground” plugs are a good protection.
Guidelines for selections & maintenance of
Hospital can prolong the life of hospital equipment, reduce costly maintenance & attain greater operational efficiency. Guidelines in the selections & maintenance of equipment.i.e. Involve technical personnel in the purchase of equipment & use their expertise.